Construction Standards - Division 1
Construction Standards - Division 7
Contract Administration (CASC)
Fleet Services Committee
Management & Public Administration (MPAC)
Marketing & Public Works Outreach
Operations and Maintenance/RoAdeo
Student Outreach Network
Construction Standards - Division 1
Meetings and News Bulletins
Regular committee meetings are held in January, March, May, September, and November, usually from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm. Locations and dates vary. These meetings are for core committee members and invited guests.
At each APWA-WA spring and fall conference, we hold an open committee meeting on Wednesday morning, where we encourage anyone interested to come and find out about our current activities, and offer suggestions for GSPs and public contracting forms. You do not need to be registered for the conference to attend the committee meeting.
- New and Revised GSPs - Several new and revised APWA GSPs were just posted, dated December 8, 2014. They are posted here. (12/11/14)
- 1-07.18, Insurance GSPs - We are currently working on a major overhaul of the Insurance GSPs. Please contact Gretchen Johnson with any suggestions or markups.
- DBE Reporting - Currently Contractors must report DBE Subcontractor payments quarterly (on WSDOT ad/award projects, reporting is monthly). APWA GSPs have just been posted for Local Agencies to use, that include quarterly reporting. However, monthly reporting may be required in the future. Stay tuned. (12/11/14)
- Construction Bidding and Contracting Forms - The committee has branched into helping Local Agencies by developing "best practice" forms for everyone's use. We are currently updating the Performance Bond and Payment Bond forms, so one version works whether retainage is allowed or not. If you have other forms you would like help with, please contact one of the committee co-chairs listed above. (12/11/14)
- Buy America - Some confusion and questions remain, particularly related to when franchised utility work must comply with Buy America requirements. See "Links & Resources" below for hyperlinks to FHWA FAQs and other information. (12/11/14)
Most Recent Meeting Notes
Our mission is to provide Division 1 General Special Provisions (GSPs), bidding/contracting forms, and best practices, to help Local Agencies bid and administer public works projects when using the WSDOT/APWA Standard Specifications as a base. To do that, we:
- Learn – Network and gather information on Local Agency current practices, concerns, and needs; current public works procurement and administration issues; and current and pending related laws and regulations.
- Develop tools – Develop, write, and publish GSPs that complement Division 1 of the Standard Specifications; select bidding and contracting forms, information, and checklists; and select Best Practices. We also pursue approval of these tools for use on FHWA-funded projects.
- Share and teach – Share pertinent and timely information and promote discussion through webinars, CASC workshops, APWA Conference sessions, or other means.
Please contact us! Email
or call a committee co-chair with questions, comments and ideas for Local Agency GSPs, or ask to be added to our email list.
Local Agency Bidding/Contracting Forms and Boilerplate
Note: These are provided "as is" for your use, developed based on best practices, laws, and regulations to the best of our ability -- but your individual agency must carefully review any form before using it. Neither this committee nor the APWA Washington State chapter takes responsibility for your use of these forms.
- What Makes Up Contract Documents? Chart showing the different pieces that make up Contract Documents.
- Information/Checklist for Bidders section insert , explaining how Bid Preference Law works for determining low bidder.
- Local Agency Payment Bond and Performance Bond -- these are identical to those posted on the WSDOT Forms website, and follow the best practice of requiring the contractor to obtain two separate bonds for each project. This provides the Local Agency with additional protection, at no or minimal extra cost. [Revised forms to be posted soon]
- Click here to check if the contractor’s surety is on the “Surety Companies Acceptable in Federal Bonds” list.
Key Committee Contributions, Training, and Outreach
Links & Resources
Buy America (Selected available information, not necessarily complete or up to date)
CPARB - Capital Projects Advisory Review Board
Municipal Research and Services Center (MRSC)
- Main Website
- City Bidding Book - A great resource on types of Public Work contracts, rules for bidding and award, etc.
- County Bidding Book - A great resource on types of Public Work contracts, rules for bidding and award, etc.
- Sample Documents - MRSC posts sample documents submitted by Local Agencies such as: contracts, bidding and contracting forms, franchise agreements, etc. We encourage Local Agencies to send examples to John Carpita for posting.
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT)
Note: We suggest inserting actual State wage rates into the Bid Documents, rather than just a weblink – to reduce later confusion and argument. Remember to also include the Benefit Code Key, and any wage rate Supplements. If the project has federal funding, you must include actual Davis Bacon rates (not just reference).
Construction Specifications Institute (CSI)